What is Nitrous Oxide or “Laughing Gas” and is it safe for children?
Nitrous oxide is a sweet-smelling, non-irritating, colorless gas which you can breathe. Nitrous oxide has been the primary means of sedation in pediatric dentistry for many years and considered very safe for your child.
Your child is able to breathe on his or her own and remain in control of all bodily functions.
Though there are no major reservations to using nitrous oxide, there are few medical conditions where nitrous oxide is contraindicated. Dr. Krepkh will review and discuss your child’s medical history prior to administering nitrous oxide.
What are the advantages of using Nitrous Oxide?
* Nitrous oxide can be a great aid in helping your child relax and accept the necessary steps for treatment.
* There is no after effect such as a “hangover.”
* Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
* It is very effective in minimizing a gag reflex.
* It works rapidly, usually within 2-3 minutes as its relaxation and pain reducing properties develop.